Desire for wisdom that comes from God. Some people equate wisdom as a vast knowledge of lofty things or things too difficult to comprehend by ordinary people. It may encompass that but it is beyond the vast knowledge of different matters. The Bible describes wisdom perfectly, clearly, and so beautifully that it astounds me to know that God’s children have free access to acquiring an immense wealth as wisdom from God.
“But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceful, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.”– James 3:17 (WEB)
What is the kind of wisdom that God gives? How is it different from the wisdom of the world?
- Pure. Uncontaminated by evil and wickedness. The wisdom of God has pure motive. It has no ulterior motives or selfish intentions.
- Peaceful. The wisdom of God does not create disorder or discord. It establishes peace and seeks peace.
- Gentle. The wisdom from God is filled with gentleness. It is not rude or harsh. It is not impatient or irritable. It is driven by love.
- Reasonable. God’s wisdom is open to reason. It is sensible. It weighs things with a balanced assessment of what is right and wrong and what is significant and not.
- Full of mercy. Who would have thought that mercy is an act of wisdom? The wisdom that God gives is merciful to others. It looks at others with honesty and truth but it treats others with loving grace.
- Good fruits. God’s wisdom enables a person to bear good fruits, which refer to the character moulded by God. God’s wisdom leads us to bear the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-26) because wisdom makes us choose what is godly and pleasing to God.
- Without partiality. God’s wisdom treats every one with equal respect. It does not show preference and favor over one person to another. It does not favor one circumstance over another because of personal gain.
- Without hypocrisy. The wisdom from God acts with sincerity out of a pure heart that seeks to glorify God and show the love of God to others.
Every time we wonder if our wisdom comes from God, we can have this guide from the book of James. We could reflect if we decide with wisdom or not. We could evaluate if our actions through all the years we have lived are founded upon the wisdom of God.
We are to seek and aspire for wisdom like we aspire for great treasures because wisdom is far more valuable than precious gems.
“But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach; and it will be given to him.”– James 1:5 (WEB)
“Happy is the man who finds wisdom, The man who gets understanding.– Proverbs 3:13-18 (WEB)
For her good profit is better than getting silver, And her return is better than fine gold.
She is more precious than rubies. None of the things you can desire are to be compared to her.
Length of days is in her right hand. In her left hand are riches and honor.
Her ways are ways of pleasantness. All her paths are peace.
She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her. Happy is everyone who retains her.”